The Official Website of the Parish Council of Cobham in Kent England

Cobham Parish Council Meeting Dates click here 

Cobham Parish Council News click here

Minutes of Council Meetings click here

 

Contact
Directory

 

Aerial view of Cobham Parish

Cobham Parish

(click to enlarge)

Aerial view of Coham Village

Cobham Village

(click to enlarge)

The Meadow Rooms Cobham 

The Meadow Rooms

Cobham is a rural parish within the Borough of Gravesham in the County of Kent and comprises  the villages of Cobham and Sole Street.

The council consists of nine councillors, four representing the village of Cobham and  five representing the Sole Street ward.

Council meetings are held at the Meadow Rooms in Cobham or at St Mary's Church Room Sole Street.

Cobham is a rural parish of 1240 hectares on the northern slope of the North Downs and comprises the villages of Cobham and Sole Street. In the north-west of the parish are the hamlets of Ifield, with its ancient church of St Margaret, and Henhurst, which is mentioned in the Domesday Book. The parish population is 1328.

Close to the village of Cobham is Cobham Hall, a late Elizabethan and eighteenth century mansion, with later interior features by James Wyatt, Inigo Jones and the Adam brothers, set in 150 acres of grounds landscaped by Humphrey Repton. For approximately 200 years until the 1950s the seat of the Earls of Darnley. Since 1962 a girls boarding school, and open to the public in the Easter and summer holidays. It has been described as one of the largest, finest and most important houses in Kent.

A major attraction is the 13th century church with its magnificent collection of brasses, some more than  600 years old. Close to the church is Cobham College. Originally established as a college for priests it now provides sheltered accommodation for elderly parishioners as it has done for 400 years

 

Charles Dickens

Charles Dickens

Cobham has close associations with the  Victorian writer, Charles Dickens who frequently walked to the village from his house at Gads Hill. He would often test his storytelling skills by giving readings from his latest work at the Leather Bottle inn, which is situated opposite the parish church. This inn features prominently in  Dickens' "Pickwick Papers."

To contact us:

The Clerk to Cobham Parish Council
The Old Forge 4 The Street, Cobham,  Kent. DA12 3BN

E-mail clerk@cobham-kent-pc.gov.uk
Telephone 01474 816684

THANK YOU FOR VISITING  Your comments on the site are very welcome. Please e-mail the Webmaster

VISITOR NUMBER

Cobham Parish Council is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites and the inclusion of links on this site is not a recommendation by the council of any goods or services.

Back to Top  More about Cobham  Cobham News   Cobham Parish Events   Contact Parish Council   Parish Directory  Minutes