How this scam works:
- You are sent a letter from abroad
- The writer claims to have access to a large amount of money from a deceased client
- You are told you share the same name as the dead person
- If you respond, they’ll ask you to pay various fees – for example: taxes, legal fees, banking fees etc. – so they can release the money
- Although there are legitimate companies who make a living by tracking down heirs, they don’t do it in this way.
- If you’re asked for a fees it’s very likely to be bogus.
- Letters/documents provided by the fraudsters are generally badly written. Look out for spelling mistakes and poor grammar.