- The criminals are pressuring residents into having work done on their roof by claiming urgent repairs need to be carried out.
- The work is often not needed at all.
- In one case the resident was quoted £14,000 for the work which was reduced to £5000 when the resident said they couldn't pay the higher amount.
- The resident was told to pay the £5000 in cash and the criminals drove the resident to the bank to withdraw money.
What to do:
Reputable traders and contractors do not cold-call for business and they will NEVER ask you to go to the bank or cash point.
- ALWAYS refuse on the spot repairs.
- Don't allow anyone to pressure you into having work done. If you ask them to leave and they don't, contact the police on 999.
- Use reputable traders who are members of the KCC Trading Standards approved trader scheme, run in partnership with Checkatrade
- Ask for quotes in writing and check that the trades-person is from the company they claim to be from.